Friday, May 02, 2003

yesterday was a hard day. maybe i had high hopes and that's what got to me. yesterday was "Asian Moxie". For about a month, I went around running like a chicken with its head cut off. I was a walking network machine, trying to find participants. When the day came, I felt like everything fell apart. When someone arrives late, it sets the tone for the whole show. As the show got closer, I was ready to give up. I wasn't satisfied with the progress we had made. We wanted a different aspect to be presented to the campus, but it was hard to incorporate that.

Yesterday was just very frustrating. I arrived late to set-up because I was getting everything else ready at home. When I arrived on campus, Ciara, Joe, Sing Ping, RJ, Ann Marie, Lex and I went straight to work. The area was decorated, the canopy was set up, but the PA system's key was lost. Vendors were supposed to be there at certain times, the dj was supposed to be there, everyone was expected to be there early. that didn't exactly happen. it didn't go accordingly, and i couldn't help but feel frustrated. everyone kept telling me, "just go with the flow." oh, i would love to, but how am i supposed to do that when i myself don't know what to do.

things i've learned from this experience:

Plan ahead of time
Set date, time, and location
Contact facilities with all your needs
Check account with ASI
Set the theme for the event ahead of time
CREATE CONTRACTS
set up committees
performances
decorations
clothing lines, etc.

although, make sure that you have resourceful individuals. that was one of the problems with a certain individual who volunteered to be head of a committee, but did not pull their own weight. for some reason, everyone seemed to come around when show time was days away. suddenly, everyone was asking me if i needed help when beforehand i was asking for help.

yesterday's show is done and over with, thank god. it was good and bad. i broke down because i was so frustrated that i put so much hard work into the event and it didn't go accordingly. people probably don't understand that, but i wanted the show to be successful. towards the end, i realized it was successful. i am my worst critic.